31.9 F
New York

tjvnews.com

Monday, February 16, 2026
CLASSIFIED ADS
LEGAL NOTICE
DONATE
SUBSCRIBE

Iranian Judiciary Chief Signals Fast Trials, Swift Punishments as Protests Continue

Related Articles

Must read

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Guy Birchall

(Epoch Times) The head of Iran’s judiciary on Jan. 14 said there would be fast trials for those suspected of serious crimes during the nationwide protests sweeping the country, followed by swift punishment for those deemed guilty.

 

“If a person burned someone, beheaded someone and set them on fire then we must do our work quickly,” Iranian Chief Justice Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei said in comments reported by The Times of Israel, citing the AFP news agency.
“If we want to do a job, we should do it now. If we want to do something, we have to do it quickly,” Mohseni-Ejei added, according to Al Jazeera, which is primarily funded by the Qatari government.
Delays will reduce the effect of deterrence, he added.

 

“If it becomes late—two months, three months late—it doesn’t have the same effect. If we want to do something, we have to do that fast,” he said.

The judiciary chief also said the trials should be held in public, The Times of Israel reported, citing Iranian media.

Mohseni-Ejei’s comments come as activists say the death toll of the protests has soared into the thousands.

“In terms of human losses, the deaths of 2,403 protesters have been confirmed. Among those killed, 12 children (individuals under 18 years of age) have been recorded,” HRANA said on Jan. 13.

“Additionally, nine non-protesting civilians (neither military personnel nor protesters) are included among the deceased. On the other side, 147 members of security forces and government supporters have been killed, including at least five civilian supporters of the government.”

A frame grab from Iranian state television shows a man observing burning vehicles during overnight protests in Zanjan, Iran, Jan. 9, 2026. Iranian state TV via AP

That puts the total deaths at 2,571, far outstripping the death toll from any other round of protest or unrest in Iran in decades.

HRANA also stated that as of the 17th day of protests, a total of 614 protest gatherings have been recorded across Iran, taking place in 187 cities in all 31 provinces of the country.

Some 18,434 individuals have been confirmed as arrested, while 97 cases of forced confessions have been broadcast, and 1,134 people have been severely injured.

The Epoch Times is unable to independently verify HRANA’s figures.

Trump, in an interview with CBS on Jan. 13, warned Iranian leaders that they face “very strong action” if reports accusing them of hanging protesters in the country were true.

When asked about the “end game” in Iran, Trump pointed to the examples of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani, who were both eliminated during Trump’s first term.

“We don’t want to see what’s happening in Iran happen, and you know, if they want to have protests, that’s one thing. When they start killing thousands of people, and now you’re telling me about hanging, we’ll see how that works out for them. It’s not going to work out good,” Trump said.

Iranians block a street in Tehran on Jan. 9, 2026. East Images/AFP via Getty Images
Writing on Truth Social, Trump had earlier encouraged protesters to keep up the pressure on the regime and to take over the country’s institutions. All meetings with Iranian officials were canceled until the killing stopped, he said.

“Save the names of the killers and abusers. They will pay a big price,” he said.

“Help is on its way,” he added in all-caps.

Communication Blackout

Since the protests began to intensify, the regime has blocked access to internet and telephone services in the country. This has made it difficult for international organizations to gauge the intensity of the protests and government responses.

Since Jan. 13, Iran has eased some restrictions on communications, permitting people in Iran to call outside the country, but has not activated incoming calls. Restrictions on messaging are still imposed.
The same day, SpaceX activated free Starlink internet access in the country, according to a local activist group.
In a post on X, Iranian activist group Nasnet said that Elon Musk’s Starlink has waived subscription fees for users in Iran following talks between NasNet, Starlink, and U.S. authorities.

“After weeks of continuous efforts, negotiations, and discussions with the Starlink team and United States authorities, we have successfully provided access to Starlink for free to serve the revolution,” it stated.

“Just turn on the device. Don’t forget physical camouflage, hiding the Starlink IP, and changing the wireless network name,” the group advised Iranian users.

The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying Starlink satellites over Sebastian Inlet after launching from Cape Canaveral, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2025. Sam Wolfe/Reuters

Jamming Concerns

Musk has provided Starlink services to Iranians to help them bypass government restrictions, including during previous protests in 2022, when the White House engaged with the billionaire after protests sprang up following the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini in police custody.

Despite being illegal under Iranian law, Starlink is used in Iran by people with receivers. The receivers use GPS signals to position themselves to connect to a constellation of low-orbit satellites.

Amir Rashidi, director of digital rights and security at U.S.-based Miaan Group and an expert on Iran, told IranWire in an interview published on Jan. 9 that following the outbreak of protests, jamming signals were detected targeting Starlink satellites. He said that around 30 percent of Starlink’s uplink and downlink traffic was initially disrupted, rising to more than 80 percent as time went on.

Rashidi said he had not witnessed such outages in his 20 years of research, adding that the technology being used is highly sophisticated and military-grade. These jammers, he said, were likely supplied to the regime by China or Russia, if they were not developed internally.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has blamed the United States for escalating the protests, saying they were made “violent, bloody to give an excuse” to Trump to intervene. He said the protests were “infiltrated by terrorist operatives and terrorist groups.”
He said the country is “ready for war but also for dialogue,” according to Al Jazeera.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article